British Gingerbread Nuts
Let these cookies mellow for at least 3 days before serving.
- 2/3 cup golden syrup
- 2 ounces butter, melted, cooled
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- Candied lemon peel, for decoration
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with bakers' parchment, coat
with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the syrup, butter, sugar and ginger; beat hard with a wooden spoon until
- Stir in the lemon peel and caraway seeds.
- Add the egg and work into the dough.
- Add the flour and mix to form a thick paste.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- With floured hands, form the dough into walnut-size balls.
- Press a piece of candied lemon peel in the center of each cookie.
- Lightly flatten each cookie with the floured tines of a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Store in airtight tins for up to 3 weeks.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen cookies