- 1/2 cup medium oatmeal
- 2 heaping tablespoons butter
- 1 scant teaspoon baking powder
- 1 beaten egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons black treacle (molasses)
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix oatmeal and flour thoroughly in large bowl.
- Rub in butter.
- Add the sugar, salt, ginger and baking powder; mix well.
- Melt treacle until warm. Stir in beaten egg and half the buttermilk. Stir mixture
into flour, adding buttermilk gradually. Stop when mixture is soft enough to drop
from a spoon.
- Amply grease a tin about 8 x 4 inches. Add mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees
F for about 1 1/4 hours or until well risen. Test to ensure it is cooked in center
by inserting a thin skewer.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing from tin.
- Cool on a rack; leave overnight if possible to let it set.