Eccles Cakes 2
- Frozen flaky pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mixed candied peel, chopped
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 beaten egg white
- Sugar to sprinkle
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Stir sugar into melted butter.
- Add currants, peel, nutmeg and allspice.
- Roll out pastry very thinly and cut 6-inch rounds, using a saucer.
- Heap filling
in the middle of each round. (Makes about 8 to 10 cakes - divide the filling between
- Dampen the edges, draw up the pastry over the filling, pinch together, turn
over and flatten with rolling pin until a few currants just show through.
- Make 3
small cuts on top of each cake.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.