English Berry Trifle
This is pretty served in a clear glass bowl.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (3 ounce) package ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or raspberries (or both)
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and salt in saucepan; gradually stir in milk.
Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into egg yolks. Stir back into hot mixture
in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Split ladyfingers lengthwise into halves. Layer half of the ladyfingers, cut
sides up, in 2-quart glass serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sherry.
- Layer half of the strawberries and half of the cold egg yolks mixture over ladyfingers;
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 8 hours.
- Beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl until stiff; spread
- Sprinkle with almonds.
Yields 8 to 10 servings.