English Crumpets are griddle cakes made from a flour and yeast batter.
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 package yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1 egg
- Combine water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
milk, 1 tablespoon of the butter and salt in a saucepan over low heat just until
warm. Add to yeast mixture.
- Add 1 cup flour to yeast mixture and beat until smooth,
about 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer.
- Beat in egg.
- Add remaining flour and beat
- Cover batter with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir down batter and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat. Skim off foam and
discard milky solids from bottom of saucepan.
- Brush bottom of a skillet with melted
- Brush insides of four crumpet rings or 3-inch round cookie cutters with
butter and place rings in skillet.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon about 2
tablespoons batter into each ring. Cook until batter begins to bubble on top and
is lightly browned on bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Remove rings.
- Turn English Crumpets
over. Cook until lightly browned on bottom and done in centers.
- Can be served warm
or split and toasted before serving.