English Plum Pudding
This dessert is traditionally served at Christmastime.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup cut-up candied fruit peel
- 1/4 cup cut-up candied cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) ground kidney suet
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
- Hard Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons brandy
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Pudding: Mix flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in fruit, walnuts and bread crumbs.
- Mix suet, brown sugar, eggs and 1 tablespoon brandy; stir into flour mixture.
- Pour into well-greased 4-cup mold; cover with aluminum foil.
- Place mold on rack in Dutch
oven; pour boiling water into Dutch oven to rack level.
- Cover and boil over low
heat until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 3 hours, adding
boiling water if necessary.
- Remove mold from Dutch oven; unmold.
- Heat 1/4 cup brandy until warm; ignite and pour over pudding.
- Serve with Hard Sauce.
- Hard Sauce: Beat butter, confectioners' sugar and brandy until smooth.
Yields 8 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes