Fish and Chips
Americans eat fish and chips with tomato ketchup. The English sprinkle dark vinegar
(malt vinegar) over the fish and chips.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 pounds fillets of cod or scrod
- Seasoned flour for dredging
- Oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Start preparing exactly 40 minutes before serving time.
- Slice potatoes into long
sticks about 1/4-inch thick. Put sticks into a bowl and cover with ice cold water
to soak. This will remove some of the starch and will result in a crispier and less
fattening French fry.
- Prepare the batter by breaking the egg into a large mixing bowl and lightly whisk
with the water.
- Still whisking, add the flour, a little at a time. Make sure all
lumps of flour are beaten out so that you finish up with a smooth consistency.
- Add salt and ground pepper and set aside.
- Thoroughly wash the fish fillets under cold running water. Check to ensure that
all bones have been removed.
- Divide the fish into 8 equal pieces - 2 per serving.
Carefully dry with paper towels and dredge each piece in seasoned flour, shaking
off the excess.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F to 400 degrees F. At the same time heat
up 1 inch of oil in a heavy-bottom frying pan to the same temperature.
- While the fat is slowly getting up to temperature, drain the potatoes, getting
as much moisture from them as possible with paper towels.
- Dip each piece of fish
into the batter mixture. Allow excess batter to drip back into the bowl and gently
immerse the fillet in the hot oil. Do not cook more than 2 or 3 pieces of fish at
a time. The inside of the fish will be cooked when the outside batter is a mid to
- Turn the oven to low so that you can keep the cooked pieces of fish
warm while the others are cooking.
- Take 2 handsful of potatoes and carefully release them into the deep-fryer.
- When golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon so that you can shake off the excess oil,
and turn onto paper towels.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes