This is alcoholic, so please don't let the children drink it!
To Make the Plant
- 2 ounces fresh baker's yeast
- 2 level tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 level tablespoons freshly ground dried ginger, bought from a spice store and NOT a supermarket
To Complete the Process
- 19 cups cold water
- 2 large fresh lemons
- 2 1/4 cups superfine sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Mix yeast and sugar together in a small, clean plastic or china bowl with
a small wooden spoon.
- Add ginger and slowly mix in 1/4 cup of hand-hot water.
Stir until well blended, then add another cup of hand-hot water and place in
a very clean glass jar and leave, uncovered, in a warm place.
- To Feed the Plant: 10 level teaspoons freshly ground dried ginger
and 10 level teaspoons superfine sugar
- Each day feed the plant. Do this by sprinkling onto the surface 1 teaspoon
superfine sugar and 1 teaspoon ginger. Do this for 10 days.
- When you have fed the plant for 10 days, dissolve the 2 1/4 cups superfine
sugar with 3 3/4 cups of the water in a heavy-bottom 4-quart saucepan. Heat
slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon, until he sugar is dissolved. It will not
- Using a thoroughly cleansed 10-quart plastic bucket, pour in the sugar and
water mixture. Add another 2 1/2 cups cold water and the strained juice of two
lemons. Now add the remaining 12 1/2 cups of water. Take the plant you've
been feeding for 10 days and strain the liquid through muslin into the bucket.
Save the sludge if you want to make more. Stir all the liquid well and pour
into screw-top bottles. The 2 1/2-liter plastic screw-top soda bottles are ideal
for this. Using a funnel, fill each bottle, leaving about a 2-inch air gap at
the top for the ginger beer to breathe. Place the tops on, but don't tighten
down until the following day.
- Sample after 5 days, covering the neck of the bottle with a cloth when opening.
A small amount of sediment may collect at the bottom of the bottle. Decant the
contents of the bottle into a pitcher, taking care that the sediment remains
in the bottle. Serve chilled. Dilute with a lemonade soda or beer to make a
- To continue the plant: Divide the sludge into two glass juice containers,
add 1 1/4 cups of hand-hot water to each and feed the plant in the previous
manner. You'll then be running two plants and will be making double the
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes