The English use golden syrup. Try it if you can find it at a specialty store.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or golden syrup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift flour, ginger and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, toss in the sugar,
then lightly rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add syrup and mix all together to form a stiff paste.
- Divide paste into 16 equal pieces by cutting the mixture in half, then each half
into halves and so on. Make sure that each cookie is the same size.
- Roll each piece into a ball between the palms of your hands. Place each ball on a large, lightly
greased baking sheet, leaving plenty of room for each to expand.
- Using a wooden spoon, press down on each one to flatten it slightly.
- Put into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until they are done.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the sheet for a little while.
- Using a spatula, place each on a wire rack for final cooling.
- Eat immediately with vanilla ice cream or store in an airtight container.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes