Guinness and Ginger Loaf
Guinness and Ginger Loaf is a fabulous holiday cake. It is particularly beautiful when decorated with a vanilla glaze and candied ginger.
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, line the
bottom and sides with parchment and grease the parchment. (Alternatively, butter
and flour a 6-cup Bundt pan.
- Combine the stout and molasses in a large saucepan over high heat and
bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the baking soda. Allow to sit
until the foam disappears.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and the granulated white and brown
sugars in a bowl. Whisk in the vegetable oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking
powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
- Combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk this liquid
into the flour mixture, half at a time. Add the grated ginger and stir to
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake until the top springs back
when gently pressed, 1 hour. Do not open the oven until the gingerbread is
almost done or the center may fall slightly.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- The top may be glazed, if desired, with a vanilla glaze, and decorated
with candied ginger. Alternatively, it may be dusted with confectioners'
sugar, if desired.
Photo credit: The Integer Club on VisualHunt / CC BY
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes