- 3 egg whites
- 6 ounces ground almonds
- 6 ounces caster sugar (fine granulated sugar)
- A few drops of almond extract
- Line a shallow baking sheet with oiled grease-proof paper or use non-stick baking
parchment. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Lightly stir in the ground almonds, sugar and
extract. Spread the mixture in the baking tray to a depth of 1/4 inch. Bake until
the mixture is almost set.
- Remove from the oven and gently mark out rounds with a 1 1/2-inch cutter, making
the marks as close as possible to each other without overlapping. Leave them in
place and return the baking sheet to the oven and bake until quite firm, golden
and crisp. Remove from oven, and carefully remove the rounds to a wire rack.
- Return the trimmings to the oven for a short while so that they become a darker
gold. When the trimmings are cold, crush them with a rolling pin and reserve. Spread
half the cakes with coffee or vanilla flavored butter icing and gently press the
remaining circles on top. The butter icing will ooze out of the sides. Spread this
around the edge of each cake, adding more if necessary, and roll cakes in the reserved
- If desired, the tops can be decorated with a blob of glace icing.
Butter icing is made by beating confectioners' sugar into softened butter
until the consistency is like thick cream, then adding flavoring of choice. The
icing hardens as it sets.