Scottish Oatmeal Gingerbread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups instant oatmeal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied lemon peel (optional)
- 2/3 cup golden molasses
- 1/2 cup (1/4 pound) unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup buttermilk, as needed
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Sift together flour, ginger, baking soda and salt; mix with oatmeal and lemon
- Bring molasses to a boil and add butter and sugar.
- Remove from heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Cool and mix with beaten eggs.
- Pour into the flour mixture, beating vigorously until well blended.
- Add just enough buttermilk
to make a batter that can be dropped from a spoon.
- Turn into a well buttered 10 x 12 x 3-inch baking pan and bake in preheated
325 degrees F oven and bake for about 2 hours, or until a tester comes out
clean. If cake browns too quickly, cover with buttered brown paper or double
thickness of aluminum foil, and continue baking.
Makes 1 cake.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes