- 1/2 pound cream cheese
- 1 pound fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 pound fresh large-curd cottage cheese
- Granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 18 sheets commercial filo
- 1/2 cup butter (or more), melted
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese at high speed until light and
fluffy. Lower the speed and add the ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar,
and the nutmeg. Beat for 1 minute at high speed, then set aside while you prepare
- Lay the filo flat on a table and keep covered with a damp towel over wax paper
or plastic wrap. By stacking 4 sheets, form a base of 15 x 18 inches, brushing the
top of each sheet with melted butter as you stack them. Then lay 2 sheets at right
angles over the center, using the "base" as a diamond, not a square, brushing
the center of each with butter. Divide the filling into 3 parts and spread one part
over the filo to form a 7-inch square. Set the rest of the filling aside.
- Fold the top filo sheet over the cheese and brush with butter, and continue folding
the filo over the cheese to make a square, brushing each time with butter. With
a wide spatula, lift the bougatsa and invert onto a cookie sheet. Brush the top
with butter and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining filo, filling until all 3 square pies are folded. Bake
in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the filo puffs up and turns
a golden chestnut color.
- Cut into small squares and sprinkle with additional sugar. Serve piping hot.
Yield: 8 servings