Peanut Butter Mochi
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (16 ounce)
box mochiko (sweet rice flour)
- Katakuriko (potato starch), for dusting
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- To make filling, combine peanut butter and honey; refrigerate until firm,
a few hours or overnight.
- Bring water to a boil; add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add mochiko a
little at a time, stirring constantly. Continue stirring over medium heat until
lumps are dissolved.
- Place dough on a surface dusted with katakuriko. Allow to cool slightly.
Sprinkle with more katakuriko and knead a few times until smooth. Form into
- Pinch off a 1 1/2-inch piece of dough and flatten into a circle. Place a
teaspoon of filling in the center. Fold edges around filling and pinch to seal.
Makes about 2 dozen mochi.
Variations: For strawberry mochi, coat strawberries in koshi-an (sweet bean paste),
then wrap in mochi dough. Add red food coloring to the boiling water if desired
to turn the dough pink. For chocolate-peanut butter mochi, substitute chocolate
sauce for the honey in the filling, or wrap a chocolate Kiss in the filling.