Agua Fresca de Tamarindo
(Fresh Tamarind Drink)
This is the perfect drink on a really hot summer day in the Southwest. Agua fresca
is thirst-quenching, has more nutritive value than tea or water, and, with no caffeine
or alcohol, you can drink lots of it without worrying. Kids love it, and it goes
great with hot and spicy food, too!
- 1 pound whole tamarind pods
- Hot water
- 2 quarts water
- 1 to 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar or honey
- Cover tamarind pods with hot water. Let stand 5 minutes; drain. Rinse and drain.
- Remove pods, stems and strings from tamarinds. Place pods in 2 quarts of water.
Let stand 4 hours; strain, reserving liquid.
- Press as much tamarind pulp as possible through a sieve. Mix pulp, reserved liquid
and the sugar or honey. Heat just until the sugar or honey melts.
- Cover and refrigerate