Biscochitos (Mexican Cookies)
This is the New Mexico state cookie. If you spell it biscochito or bizcochito, it's all the same wonderful cookie.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons anise seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sugar, butter, sherry and egg in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients
except 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Divide dough into halves. Roll each half
1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters;
place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle on cookies.
- Bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.