Leche Quemada (Burnt-Milk Candy)
Yield: 2 dozen small squares
- 1 quart pasteurized milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place milk, sugar and cream of tartar in a heavy saucepan. Stir to dissolve.
- Cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until mixture begins to thicken. Stir occasionally and first and constantly later on. When mixture thickens, check by caramel method (dropping a drop of the mixture into a cup of cold water until a soft ball forms)
or use a candy thermometer to 232 degrees F.
- Remove from heat. Add chopped pecans.
- Pour into a wax paper-lined square cake pan and let it cool.
- Cut into squares.
Variation: Omit chopped pecans. Pour mixture by spoonsful onto wax paper, and top each piece of candy with a pecan half.