- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 2 tablespoons water for egg wash
- 1/2 cup unsalted pine nuts
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium
speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Add egg and beat for 1 minute or until well
blended. Turn mixer to its lowest speed and add half of the flour and cornmeal,
Blending just to combine.
- Beat in the bourbon and vanilla extract, then the remaining flour mixture.
- Roll dough between 2 sheets of wax paper to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place them on a parchment paper-lined
or nonstick cookie sheet.
- Brush the cookies with the egg wash.
- Gently press a few pine nuts into each one.
- Refrigerate the cookies for 10 minutes.
- Bake cookies for about 15 minutes, until very lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack.