Piglet Cookies (Puerquito)
A soft, spicy gingerbread cookie commonly found in Mexican bakeries and supermarkets
throughout the Southwest. These are also known as "Cochinitos."
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet.
- Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cloves and pepper
into a bowl.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the sour cream, egg, honey, molasses and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients. The dough should be fairly moist.
- Cover the dough, and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Roll the dough out and cut with a pig-shape cookie cutter.
- After putting cookies on prepared cookie sheet, brush with glaze made by mixing
egg white with water.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen