This is good with either pork or shrimp. Be sure to set aside enough time to prepare the rolls.
- 1 pound ground pork or chopped shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mushrooms
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh spring roll wrappers
- Sweet and Sour Sauce with Apricots
- Mix all of the filling ingredients in large bowl. To test the filling, fry a
spoonful in a pan with a little oil, and taste to determine if seasonings need adjustment.
- To roll, place wrapper in front of you with the corners turned so it forms a
diamond rather than a square.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of filling on the quarter of the
wrapper nearest you and roll the point away from you and around the filling, folding
in the sides and pinching them together as the filling rolls past them. As you complete
the roll seal the edges with water. Repeat until all the wrappers and filling has
been used up.
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Sweet and Sour Sauce.
Makes 50 rolls.