Chicken with Spicy Walnut Sauce
(Satsivi — Russia)
The tart walnut sauce (Satsivi) is a traditional element of meat, fish or poultry dishes from the Georgian Republic. Be careful that the juice does not spatter onto clothing, as it will stain.
- 6 large chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove bones and skin from chicken breast halves.
- Heat oil in skillet until hot.
- Cook chicken over medium heat until brown on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Cook and stir onion in oil until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Add chicken. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until chicken is done, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken to warm platter with slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Heat walnut mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chicken.
Yield: 6 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.