Meat on a Stick (Patychky)
Very good. I made this for Ukrainian Christmas. I used pork tenderloin only.
After you marinate for three hours and have skewered the meat put them in plastic
bag and let the sticks make holes in the bag and put sticks upright in a casserole
so that the meat marinate drains into the casserole through the holes overnight
in the refrigerator. This will not make them soggy when you coat them. When you
coat them pat them into a nice roll.
Old-country meat dishes may seem like a lot of work, but the results make the
- 3 pounds veal
- 3 pounds lean pork
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
cup medium dry sherry
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 eggs plus
1 teaspoon oil and mix well
- Oil (peanut pil for frying is best at 350 degrees)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Cut veal and pork into 1-inch cubes and place cubes in a large bowl.
- Chop garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic water, sherry, wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour
over meat cubes and stir.
- Marinate meat cubes for at least 3 hours, or overnight,
to allow flavors to blend.
- Leaving about 2 inches at the bottom of each skewer, arrange pork and veal cubes
alternately on wooden skewers. Squeeze cubes together.
- Continue to add meat until
all the meat is used. You should fill 12 skewers.
- In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a
second shallow bowl, beat eggs.
- Dip skewered meat cubes in breadcrumbs.
- Coat with
egg, then dip in crumbs again and pat into a roll.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 inch of cooking oil.
- Fry skewers of meat cubes,
a few at a time, until meat is lightly browned, turning to brown all sides.
onions and butter and spread in a large shallow baking dish.
- Place meat sticks on
onions and bake in 275 degree F oven for about 1 hour, or until meat is no longer
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 1/8/2002 6:47 pm.
Source: Back Roads and Country Cooking