Pelmeni (Russian Dumplings)
This is a traditional Russian dish that is made in many Kazakstani homes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Garlic, to taste
- To make the dough, combine the flour, eggs, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Knead
mixture. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Mix the ground beef, ground pork, onions, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic
together. Roll the dough into a thin layer and cut into small circles.
- Place a small
amount of meat in the center of each circle of dough. Fold the edges of the dough
over the meat to form a ravioli-shaped dumpling.
- Boil the Pelmeni in salted water for seven minutes, or until they float to the surface.
- Serve them in soup plates with sour cream or in broth.