(Beef- or Chicken-Stuffed Turnovers - Russian)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten, plus a little extra
- 6 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 ounces ground
chicken or beef
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 5 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- pinch grated nutmeg
- pinch salt and freshly
ground black pepper
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
- Stir in the yeast, then make
a well in the center.
- Add the butter, egg and milk and mix into a soft dough.
onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise
for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, stir-fry the onion and ground chicken or beef in the oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Knead the dough, then roll out until 1/8-inch
thick. Stamp out rounds with a 3-inch cutter. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
a little filling in the middle, then press the edges together.
- Let rise on oiled
baking sheets, covered with oiled plastic wrap, for 15 minutes.
- Brush with a little more egg.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees
F and cook 10 more minutes.