(Beef- or Chicken-Stuffed Turnovers - Russian)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten, plus a little extra
- 6 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 ounces ground chicken or beef
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 5 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
- Stir in the yeast, then make a well in the center.
- Add the butter, egg and milk and mix into a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise
for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, stir-fry the onion and ground chicken or beef in the oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Knead the dough, then roll out until 1/8-inch
thick. Stamp out rounds with a 3-inch cutter. Brush the edges with beaten egg.
- Put a little filling in the middle, then press the edges together.
- Let rise on oiled baking sheets, covered with oiled plastic wrap, for 15 minutes.
- Brush with a little more egg.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees
F and cook 10 more minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.