Russian Beet Soup (Borscht)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried navy beans
- 1 pound beef boneless chuck, tip or round, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 smoked pork hock
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium beets, cooked
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 teaspoons dill seed or 1 sprig dill weed
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- Heat water and beans to boiling in Dutch oven; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add beef, pork, beef broth, salt and pepper to beans.
Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Shred beets or cut into 1/4-inch strips.
- Remove pork from Dutch oven; cool slightly.
- Remove pork from bone and trim fat; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add pork, beets, onions, garlic, potatoes and cabbage to beef mixture.
- Tie dill seed and pickling spice in cheesecloth bag or place in
tea ball; add to beef mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in vinegar; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove spice bag.
- Serve with sour cream; sprinkle with minced dill weed, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.