Russian Black Bread
- 4 cups rye flour
- 2 cups whole bran cereal
- 2 envelopes dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 (1 ounce square) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Lightly grease a large bowl and two 8-inch layer cake pans; set aside.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water, butter, vinegar, molasses and chocolate in 2-quart
saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until chocolate
is almost melted but mixture is still lukewarm.
- Turn into mixing bowl and begin beating.
- Gradually add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to make a soft dough and beat about
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board.
- Cover with bowl and allow dough to rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes, adding additional
flour as needed.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to coat entire surface.
- Cover with
plastic wrap and hot, damp towel and leave in warm place until doubled in volume.
- Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured board.
- Shape into 2 balls and
place in prepared pans.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in warm place until doubled.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake breads 40 minutes.
- Combine water and cornstarch in saucepan and bring to boil over high heat; boil
- Brush lightly over bread and return bread to oven for about 5 minutes,
or until tops are glazed and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans and allow to cool on racks.