Ukrainian Country Babka
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 packages dry granular yeast
- 1 cup scalded milk, lukewarm
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 5 1/2 cups sifted flour, about
- 1 cup or more raisins
- Dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water, sprinkle the yeast over it, and let
stand until softened.
- Combine with the lukewarm milk and 1 cup of flour. Beat well,
cover, and allow the sponge to rise in a warm place until light and bubbly.
- Beat the eggs with the salt, add the sugar gradually, and continue beating.
- Beat in the butter and lemon rind.
- Combine this mixture with the sponge. Stir in the flour and knead in the bowl
for about 10 minutes. This dough should be slightly thicker than for the usual babka
- Knead in the raisins.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down, knead a few times, and let it rise again.
- Butter tall, round baking
pans (or coffee cans) with soft butter and fill them one-third full. I like to use
greased parchment paper on the bottom of pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until the dough reaches the brim of the pan.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (400
degrees F) for about 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and
continue baking for 40 minutes longer, or until done. Avoid browning the top too
deeply. If necessary, cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove the loaves from the pans and allow them to cool.
Babka with Pumpkin
This is a very old, but it is worth preserving. Mashed pumpkin imparts a mellow,
yellow color to babka and keeps it fresh and soft for days. A fewer number of eggs
is required when pumpkin is used.
Follow the preceding recipe for Country Babka. Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup of cooked,
mashed pumpkin, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1/2 cup of orange juice and about 4 eggs.
Add enough flour to give a soft dough.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine March 20, 2002 15:31:07.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.