Ukrainian Honey Horns with Almond Filling
(Rohalyky z Medom i Migdalamy)
These yeast dough crescents are simply terrific for a brunch, for afternoon tea,
or as an after-school snack for children.
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/4 cup honey mixed with 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/2 cup unpeeled almonds
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Dough: Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar, and allow to foam for a few minutes.
- Beat sugar and eggs until thick. Alternately add milk, yeast mixture, and flour to form a soft dough.
- Roll out into a rectangle 1 inch thick, brush surface with melted butter, and roll tightly.
- Cut into thirds, and refrigerate covered in plastic wrap for 4 hours or overnight.
- Almond Filling: Roast unpeeled almonds in heavy skillet until brown but not burned.
Grate or process all almonds fine.
- Add sugar, cream, and almond extract, and mix until thick. Add a little more cream if too thick.
- Roll one-third of the dough into a rectangle 1/2 inch thick. with a sharp knife
cut 4-inch squares.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in each square, fold to make a triangle, and roll up.
- Place on greased baking sheet and shape into crescents or "horns."
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Allow to rise double.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Brush with honey glaze and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Cool on racks.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 1/5/2002 9:12 am.
Source: Traditional Ukrainian Cookery - S. Stechishin
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.