Ukrainian Napoleon Torte
This delicious torte takes some time to assemble, but it is well worth the effort.
For a variety you may add chopped fresh fruit or berries, melted chocolate, or chopped
nuts may be added to the fillings.
- 1 pound butter softened
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- To make pastry, cut butter into flour until crumbly and blend in sour cream.
Form dough into 10 balls. Cover each with wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Allow dough to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, then roll each ball
into a wafer thin circle on a lightly floured board.
- Prick all over and bake at
350 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- To make filling #1: Mix together sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
Gradually add hot milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture thickens.
Pour a small amount over egg yolks, mix thoroughly and pour back into hot mixture.
Cook for 2 minutes. Cool, then add vanilla extract.
- To make filling #2: Pour milk into top of double boiler and cook, stirring frequently,
until thickened - about 30 minutes. Add egg yolks slowly in a thin stream, stirring
constantly. Add vanilla. Cook and stir for 10 minutes. CHILL. Beat butter until
fluffy, then slowly beat in chilled milk mixture.
- To assemble torte: Place one layer of pastry on a platter and spread with either
filling. Continue stacking, alternating fillings, until 1 layer of pastry remains.
- Frost top and sides with remaining filling. Crush remaining pastry layer and cover
torte with crumbs.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 1/21/2002 3:57 pm.
Source. Ukrainian Recipes