Ukrainian Sponge Coffee Torte
A very light and tender torte with a mild coffee flavor. The filling is satin-smooth
- 1 cup strong coffee (2 tablespoons coffee to 1 cup water)
- 1 cup sifted CAKE flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Few grains salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter (soft)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 2 egg yolks
- Toasted slivered almonds
- Prepare the coffee and cool it. Reserve 1/2 cup of the coffee for the filling.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt twice.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add 1/2 cup of the sugar gradually and beat constantly until thick.
- Now beat the egg yolks until light.
- Add the other 1/2 cup sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Combine both mixtures and fold to blend thoroughly.
- Add the flour alternately with 1/2 cup of the cooled coffee.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased, deep, round baking pan. Best to use springform
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) for about 45 minutes, or until done
- Invert on a cake rack and cool. Cut the cake into 2 layers.
- Spread the following filling between the layers, over the top and on the sides.
- Filling: Cream the butter with the sugar until very light.
- Add the coffee gradually and beat with a rotary beater until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks. The filling should be of a spreading consistency.
- Spread as directed.
- Decorate with the toasted almonds.
- Place the torte in a cool place for several hours before cutting.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 5/5/02 11:32:19 am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.