Brazilian Chuck Roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups strong coffee
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,
or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thick
- 4 small potatoes, unpeeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oil in a heavy, 4-quart saucepan. Add chuck roast; brown on all sides.
- Add coffee, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Arrange onion slices on top of meat. Cook over high heat until boiling,
stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 1 hour.
- Add potatoes; continue to cook until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables from pan juices; keep warm.
- Blend flour with water to dissolve flour; stir into pan juices. Cook over
medium-high heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Slice meat and serve with pan gravy and vegetables.