Chicken with Pineapple
(Pollo en Pina - Guatemala)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) broiler-fryer
chicken, cut up
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pineapple,
pared and cut into 1-inch pieces, or1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened
pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in skillet until hot. Cook chicken over medium heat until brown
on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Return chicken
- Mix remaining ingredients except tomatoes and rice; pour over chicken. Heat
to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; simmer uncovered until thickest pieces of chicken are done,
about 20 minutes longer.
- Serve with rice.
Yield: 6 servings