Chicken Pot Pie with Corn Crust
(Pastel de Choclo con Pollo - Chile)
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup golden seedless raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and minced
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried powdered oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 hardboiled eggs, each cut into 8 wedges
- 12 medium pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted) corn kernels
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, or to taste
- Put chicken breasts and thighs, the whole onion, chicken broth and bay leaf
in a large stockpot; bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat,
cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a large plate. When the chicken is cool,
remove skin and pull the meat from the bones. Discard skin, bones and bay leaf.
Dice the chicken meat. Reserve the chicken cooking liquid and onion.
- Soak raisins in a small mixing bowl with enough warm water to cover so that
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté
minced onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until just brown, about 10
- Drain raisins and stir them in along with the diced chicken, 1/2 cup of
the reserved chicken cooking liquid, paprika, oregano and cumin. Cook for 5
- Taste and season with salt and white pepper, as needed. Remove the filling
from the heat and keep warm.
- Corn Topping: Puree corn kernels and milk with the reserved onion in a food
processor or electric blender until smooth. Melt butter in a large skillet over
medium-high heat. Stir in the corn puree and cook, stirring occasionally, for
5 minutes, or until it is as thick as oatmeal. Taste, then season with salt
and black pepper as needed.
- Butter a shallow 2-quart casserole with 1 tablespoon butter. Spread the
chicken filling on the bottom of the casserole. Press the egg wedges and chopped
olives into the filling. Spread the corn topping over the chicken and smooth
it with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the top of the pie with the paprika and then
the confectioners sugar.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 350 degree F oven until the top is firm and
light golden, about 45 minutes.
- Broil the pie under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat until
the top has browned, about 4 minutes.
- Serve at once.
Serves 4 to 6.