Chorizo-Stuffed Beef Roast (Bola)
- 1 (3 pound) beef boneless eye of round roastor rolled rump roast
- 1/2 pound bulk chorizo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Cut a narrow (1-inch) X shape all the way through the center of the beef
roast with long, thin sharp knife. Fill X cuts with sausage. Heat oil in Dutch
oven until hot. Cook beef over medium heat until brown on all sides, about 15
minutes; drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer
until beef is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. Slice beef; arrange on platter. Skim fat from sauce.
Pour some of the sauce over beef.
- Serve beef with remaining sauce and hot cooked black beans or rice, if desired.