(White Coconut Flake Candy)
This candy is from Brazil.
This is a recipe for white coconut candy. It is called "white" because
there is also black cocada (cocada preta). The black cocada is made with brown sugar
and has a dark brown color.
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 coconuts
- 4 cloves (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Grate the coconuts with a hand grater (Do not use blender, food processor.
Coconut flakes already grated will not taste the same as freshly grated coconuts).
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon. Boil
for about 20 minutes or until you get a thick syrup. Test by dropping a full
teaspoon of syrup in a glass with water. The syrup should become a soft candy.
(You can remove the clove and cinnamon from the syrup at this point).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and mix in the grated coconut with a wooden
- Return the saucepan to heat and cook additional 5 minutes. Perform the water
glass test again to make sure it has boiled long enough.
- Use a large spoon to drop amounts of melted cocada onto a buttered baking
- Let cocadas cool, then serve.