(White Coconut Flake Candy)
This candy is from Brazil.
This is a recipe for white coconut candy. It is called "white" because
there is also black cocada (cocada preta). The black cocada is made with brown sugar
and has a dark brown color.
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 coconuts
- 4 cloves (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Grate the coconuts with a hand grater (Do not use blender, food processor.
Coconut flakes already grated will not taste the same as freshly grated coconuts).
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon. Boil
for about 20 minutes or until you get a thick syrup. Test by dropping a full
teaspoon of syrup in a glass with water. The syrup should become a soft candy.
(You can remove the clove and cinnamon from the syrup at this point).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and mix in the grated coconut with a wooden
- Return the saucepan to heat and cook additional 5 minutes. Perform the water
glass test again to make sure it has boiled long enough.
- Use a large spoon to drop amounts of melted cocada onto a buttered baking
- Let cocadas cool, then serve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.