Colombian Potatoes with Tomato-Cheese
Sauce (Papas Chorreadas)
- 4 to 6 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, green and white parts, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped, peeled tomato
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack, Muenster or othermild white cheese
- Chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are cooked through.
- Drain, peel and keep warm.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat, and cook the onion and
garlic until soft but not brown.
- Add the scallion, tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring
- Add the cream and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Serves 4 to 6.