(Cornmeal Dumplings Stuffed with Meat - Guatemala)
- 1 pound boneless chicken or pork
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups sliced ripe tomatoes
- 1 chile guajillo, seeds and stem removed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups Masa Harina
- 8 tablespoons margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh green or dried cornhusks, wet
- Cut the chicken or pork into 1-inch cubes and fry in oil over medium heat
for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Process the tomatoes, chile pepper and 2 tablespoons water into a smooth
sauce. Set aside.
- Mix the masa, margarine, 1 1/2 cups cold water and the salt together into
a thick mush.
- Put 1/2 cup mush in each wet cornhusk, push an indentation into the mush, and
add 1 tablespoon sauce and a chunk of meat.
- Cover the stuffing with the mush and wrap the dumpling into a sausage shape
with the corn leaves.
- Steam the chuchitos over hot water over moderate heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Unwrap and eat warm or at room temperature.