Costa Rican Pineapple Bread
Pudding with Rum Sauce
This scrumptious bread pudding is brimming with tropical flavors associated with
Costa Rica. Pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts are baked in a spiced custard
and served with a warm, dark rum sauce. Unlike other bread puddings, this dish is
baked immediately after assembling
- 18 (1/2-inch) slices (1 pound loaf) white bread, crusts removed*
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, packed in juice, drained (reserve all juice, about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup toasted, flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- Bread Pudding: Prehat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking
- Crumble bread into large bowl. Add pineapple, shredded coconut, macadamia
nuts and melted butter to bread; mix well. Combine evaporated milk, coconut
milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in another large bowl. Add milk mixture
to bread mixture. The batter should be moist. Pour into prepared dish.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool on
wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut into servings.
- Serve with warm Rum Sauce.
- Rum Sauce: Combine sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Melt butter in
small saucepan over medium heat. Stir sugar mixture and pineapple juice into
butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Continue cooking,
stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in
- Serve warm.
25 min prep | 95 min total | 15 servings | 1 cup rum sauce
* Hint: Crusts can be left on if that is your preference; pudding will be more
Nutrition Information: Serving Size: 1/15 of Recipe Servings Per Recipe:
15 Amount Per Serving Calories: 410 Calories from Fat: 200 Total Fat: 23g (35% of
DV) Saturated Fat: 13g (64% of DV) Cholesterol: 70mg (23% of DV) Sodium: 260mg (11%
of DV) Carbohydrates: 46g (15% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 2g (7% of DV) Sugars: 34g Protein:
6g Vitamin A: 6% of DV Vitamin C: 4% of DV Calcium: 10% of DV Iron: 10% of DV
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé and meals.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.