Fried Fish in Pungent Sauce
(Escabeche de Pescado Frito)
Escabeche means "pickled" in Spanish, referring to the sweet and sour
flavor obtained with brown sugar, ginger and vinegar. This is usually served as
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds fish fillets, cut into serving
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into rings
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Heat oil in skillet until hot. Pat fish dry. Cook over medium heat until
fish flakes easily with fork, turning carefully, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat water, carrots, onions, green pepper, garlic, brown sugar, salt and
ginger to boiling in 1 1/2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for
- Mix vinegar and cornstarch; stir into vegetables. Heat to boiling, stirring
constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Pour vegetable mixture over fish.
Yield: 8 servings