Arroz con Pollo Chapina
(Guatemala Style Chicken and Rice)
- 3 pounds chicken pieces, skin and fat discarded
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 cups raw rice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/3 cup stuffed green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup sweet red pimiento, cut into strips
- 1 hard cooked egg, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet brown the chicken in the oil over medium heat for 20
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Remove the chicken
and set aside.
- In the same skillet with the chicken fat, fry the onion, garlic and tomato
for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the carrots, olives and capers and mix everything together.
- Pour in the broth and chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low,
cover skillet and simmer until broth has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas. Cover skillet with aluminum foil and punch 8 holes in
the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes. Fluff up the mixture once or twice
during the baking time.
- Decorate the surface with the pimiento strips and egg slices and sprinkle
with the cheese. The rice should be dry, loose and not sticky. Serve with fried
ripe plantain slices, salsa picante and pickled vegetables.
- Serve warm.