(Chicken in Green Sauce - Guatemala)
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces, looseskin and fat discarded
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tortillas, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pepitoria (squash seeds)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup cilantro, packed
- 1 cup sliced scallions, green part only
- 1/2 cup sliced tomatillos
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot green chile slices
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- Cook the chicken in the water with the salt in a covered kettle until soft,
about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Reserve broth and soak tortillas in it.
- Toast the squash seeds and sesame seeds in a dry skillet over moderate to
low heat until they turn a light tan color, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare sauce in processor. Grind the squash and sesame seeds. Add the cilantro,
scallions, tomatillos, hot chile pepper and 1 cup of the reserved broth. Add
the soaked tortillas and process to a smooth paste.
- Brown the chicken pieces in oil over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the green sauce and the balance of the broth, about 2 cups. Simmer over
low heat for 15 minutes, until the sauce is reduced to a thick, rich, green
- Serve warm.