Creme Brulee, Catalan Style
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Beat the egg yolks and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a bowl.
- Heat 3 cups of the milk, along with the lemon zest and cinnamon stick, in a pot
over moderate heat just until it begins to boil. Remove the milk from the heat and
strain into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining milk and add it to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until
it begins to bubble.
- Pour into individual ovenproof serving dishes and refrigerate for at least 2
- Before serving, sprinkle the remaining sugar over the top of the custards and
place under a preheated broiler until the sugar is melted, light brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 6 to 8