Aromatic Chicken Curry (Vietnam)
- 2 medium-size potatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 8 shallots, minced
- 4 stalks fresh lemon grass, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh hot red chiles, minced
- 2 tablespoons best-quality curry powder
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fry the potato chunks in the oil until nicely browned, then drain them on paper towels.
- Add the shallots, lemon grass, and all of the spices to the pan, and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it is opaque.
- Add the potatoes, salt, coconut milk and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with basil leaves before serving in bowls with rice.