Aubergine with Lentils
(Phad Makhua Sai Thua Khiew - Thailand)
- 1/4 pound lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces aubergine (eggplant)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh chile
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 10 mint leaves
- Cover the lentils with boiling water and leave for 2 hours.
- Drain, cover with fresh water, add salt, bring to the boil and cook, covered
for 1/2 hour. Drain.
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise into 4 pieces and then cut these quarters into
5-cm (2-inch) pieces.
- Pound the garlic and chile together.
- Fry them in the vegetable oil until golden.
- Add the lentils, fish sauce, aubergine pieces and water to the garlic and
chile in the pan. Continue frying for 2-3 minutes until the aubergine is cooked.
- Add the mint leaves, turn the mixture just once with a spoon, and remove from
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.