Ba Mee Nam
(Egg Noodles and Pork Soup - Thailand)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 8 ounces fresh egg noodles (ba mee)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons ground pork
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices pork, cooked,
1 1/2 x 3 inches
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves,
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, roasted and crushed
1 tablespoon dried red chile flakes
- Blanch the bean sprouts for a minute, then set them aside to drain.
- Boil the noodles in plenty of water for five minutes, then drain them.
- Next, cook the ground pork in a saucepan over medium heat until it begins to
- Add chicken stock, dried shrimp and fish sauce, stir, and bring the mixture
- Meanwhile, chop the garlic and fry it in a tablespoon of vegetable oil until
it is crisp.
- Place the blanched bean sprouts in the bottom of a large serving bowl.
- Top with the cooked noodles.
- Pour the fried garlic and its oil over top of the noodles.
- When the chicken stock mixture boils, tear the lettuce leaves into strips, add
them to the stock, immediately remove the stock mixture from the stove, and pour
it over the noodles and bean sprouts.
- Garnish with pork slices, green onions and
- Sprinkle in the sugar, peanuts and chile flakes and serve immediately.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.