Bangkok Beef with Basil
- 1 (1 pound) top sirloin or flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water or stock
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano or jalapeno chiles, minced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 cup canned bamboo shoots, well drained
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- Oil for sautéing
- Mix water, wine and cornstarch in a zip-type bag, add beef and marinate 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet.
- Stir-fry garlic and chiles until fragrant, then add beef and tomatoes.
- After 1 or 2 minutes, add all other ingredients except basil.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes more, then add basil.
- Stir once more, then serve.
- Serve hot over Asian noodles or warm with mixed greens as a salad.
Yield: 4 servings