Caramel Shrimp (Vietnam)
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 3 tablespoons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated
- 4 scallions (white part only), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 fresh
red chile pepper, thinly sliced (optional
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lime
- Sprigs of cilantro (optional garnish)
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp with the oyster sauce, salt, cayenne pepper
and flour. Set aside to marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the garlic and
cook until golden brown.
- Transfer the shrimp to the pan, discarding the marinade.
- Cook the shrimp, stirring occasionally, until they begin to turn pink.
- Add the water and sugar and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chile pepper, if desired, and black pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the lime
juice over the top of the shrimp and transfer the mixture to a platter.
with cilantro, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings