Chop Chae (Korean)
- 1/2 pound flank steak or sirloin tip
- 1/2 cup Teriyaki
Sauce (see recipe)
- 5 to 10 dried shiitake mushrooms (or other variety mushrooms,
reconstituted according to package directions)
- 8 ounces very thin rice noodles
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1/4 head cabbage (about 1/2 pound) or equal
amount baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Sauce (see
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 or 2 fried eggs (optional)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine (not rice wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon black
or white pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black or white pepper
- Cut beef into 1/4-inch-thick strips (cutting across the grain); cut each strip
into 1- or 2-inch lengths; place in a medium bowl with 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce. Stir
to cover beef with sauce. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Put shiitake mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside
to soak for 30 minutes.
- When mushrooms have softened, drain and discard the water
(or use it in broth); cut off and discard the hard mushroom stems. Sliver the mushroom
caps, place back in the bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cover noodles with cold tap water. Soak for 15 minutes (do not
stir, or noodles will break and get sticky).
- Heat a large pot of tap water to a
boil, and ready a large bowl of ice water.
- When noodles have soaked, cook in boiling
water for 1 minute, drain into a colander and immediately plunge the colander into
the ice water.
- Remove colander when noodles are cool to the touch, and allow noodles
to drain thoroughly in the colander.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop carrots into 4-inch lengths. Slice each piece into thin,
- Peel onion, cut in half lengthwise, and cut each half into 1/4-inch-thick
half-moon-shaped strips. Cut cabbage into 4-inch strips.
- Combine carrots, onion and cabbage or spinach; set aside.
- Heat a wok or large, wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and heat 2 to
3 minutes more, until oil shimmers when the pan is shaken.
- Drain beef, discarding
marinade, and add to hot pan. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove
- Add vegetables and mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, about
1 to 2 minutes more.
- Combine the cooked meat, vegetables and noodles in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2
cup (or as desired) vegetable sauce.
- Garnish with slices of green onion and fried
egg, if you wish.
- Teriyaki Sauce: Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Vegetable Sauce: Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Serves 4 | 1 1/2 cups Teriyaki Sauce | 3/4 cup Vegetable Sauce