Grape Leaf Beef
(Bo Cuon La Nho)
- 1/2 cup lemongrass, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves,
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 jar
grape leaves, rinsed and spread out
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at
least 10 minutes
- Sweet and Sour Fish Sauce
- Using a mini food processor, finely mince lemongrass, onion and garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, knead together lemongrass mixture, ground beef, salt,
pepper, sugar, oyster sauce, cornstarch, oil and scallions. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling on each grape leaf one inch from the edge
nearest you. Form a 2-inch-long sausage. Fold inward both sides of leaf, and pressing
down the mixture, fold over top of leaf and roll up. Repeat with remaining beef
- Thread three rolls on each bamboo skewer.
- Barbecue beef skewers over hot
coals or in a 400 degree F oven, turning frequently for approximately 10 minutes
until cooked through.
- Serve with Sweet and Sour Fish Sauce as an appetizer, or with rice noodles as
Per serving: 395 calories; 23.3 g fat (8.8 g saturated fat; 53 percent calories
from fat); 13.6 g carbohydrates; 104 mg cholesterol; 2,860 mg sodium; 31.9 g protein;
1.3 g fiber
Source: The Vietnamese Cookbook by Diana My Tran