Hot and Sour Seafood Soup (Thailand)
- 1/2 pound small fresh shrimp shelled (shells reserved) and deveined
- 2 quarts
- 2 green Serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lime
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 3 lemongrass stalks, cut into 1-inch
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Juice of 3 limes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 red Serrano chile, seeded and slivered
- 6 Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced julienne
- Combine shrimp shells with stock, chiles, salt, lime, zest, lime leaves and lemongrass
stalks in heavy non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer
for 20 to 20 minutes. Strain.
- Return liquid to pot and place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
shrimp and scallops and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in fish sauce and juice of limes.
- Add chopped cilantro, slivered red chili and shiitake slices, and green onions.
Stir and pour into a tureen or ladle into individual bowls.
Serves 6 people
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.